It’s Earth Day, 2011. Whether you’re planning an Earth Day wedding or would simply like to plan an eco-friendly wedding any time of the year. we’ve got plenty of helpful hints and tips to reduce your carbon footprint on your Big Day.
There are a plethora of opportunities to adjust your wedding plans to make your wedding more planet friendly. From flowers to lighting, and everything in between, there’s a better way to do almost everything. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
Eco-Friendly Wedding Ideas
- Purchase wedding flowers that are in season and can be obtained in your local area. How does this help the Earth? Buying locally reduces the carbon footprint by reducing the amount of fuel required to import flowers from exotic locales.
- Commemorate your wedding day by planting a tree, like the couple pictured at right.
- Don’t register for items you don’t need. Take stock of what you have and what you actually need. If it turns out you don’t need much, consider asking your guests to donate to your favorite charity rather than offering traditional gifts. After all, you can only use so many toasters at once!
- Plan your wedding festivities to minimize the amount of driving your guests will need to do between the wedding ceremony location, the wedding reception and hotels or other lodging for out of town guests.
- Use eco-friendly wedding invitations made from tree-free or 100% recycled paper.
- Bake your own wedding cake at home using local, organic ingredients. Provide a menu of all-local, sustainable, Earth friendly cuisine at your reception.
- Choose environmentally friendly wedding favors like our Pink Ribbon Plantable Wedding Favors. After the wedding, your guests will take their favors home and plant them, creating zero waste and growing a patch of wildflowers to beautify their own little patch of the Earth.
- Coordinate with a local homeless shelter in advance to determine regulations regarding the donation of left-over reception food. Wedding decorations and other items can also be donated to various organizations for re-use or passed around from one bride to the next.
Earth Day Giveaway
“The Green Bride Guide” is a handy reference book chock full of tips and hints for planning the ultimate green wedding without sacrificing style and elegance. Click here to enter to win a free copy of “The Green Bride Guide!”
Or, purchase your copy of “The Green Bride Guide” today!
Check it out
- Earth Day gown styles from the Ethereal Bride
- This may be one of my favorite wedding ideas yet… check out this vintage wedding on Dream Green Weddings. This wedding makes use of vintage wedding items garnered from antique shops rather than purchasing all-new items.
- Incorporate Earthy colors into your Earth Day wedding with Colorboard #36: Earth from 100 Layer Cake.
- Give your flower girls and ring bearer the gift of a good book and teach the youngest members of your wedding party all about Earth Day with Arthur Turns Green by Marc Brown.